top of page


If you work and pay for childcare you may be able to get the Childcare Element of Child Tax Credits to help with the costs.

If you’re a single parent you must work 16 hours or more a week.

If you’re a couple you must work 24 hours or more a week, with at least one of you working 16 hours a week.  So if you are a couple and only one of you are working then that person must work at least 24 hours weekly.

If your joint working hours are less than 24 hours you can still get working tax credits if one of the following applies:

  • entitled to carer’s allowance

  • in hospital or prison

  • getting certain benefits, credits or reductions for disability or illness – eg Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or a disability premium for Housing Benefit

You could get up to 70% of the childcare costs you’re claiming for, up to a maximum of £175 a week for 1 child and £300 a week for 2 or more children.


Click on the link below for more information

bottom of page